On 27 November 2018, the Office of Physical Resources Management of Chulalongkorn University and the Urban Design and Development Center hosted a workshop on “The Expectations of the CU2040 Masterplan”, under the concept “Adapt, Change, and Open”.
- Adapt - refers to building upon what already exists, such as outdated buildings and underutilized spaces, transforming them into communal learning areas where new ideas from different minds and perspectives could be generated.
- Change - refers to the improvement in time management and the extension of facility operation hours to support University activities on campus.
- Open - refers to opening up the University for the public, allowing access to the intellectual capital offered by the University.
These three goals will be executed through five strategies:
- Develop more co-learning spaces on campus and in faculty buildings, by adjusting the existing structures and underutilized spaces, to encourage interaction by learners from different disciplines.
- Promote the identity for each academic faculty and create a more active learning and knowledge-transfer environment. This can be done by removing boundaries between each faculty, to display each faculty’s work and creations, and opening up walls on the Phayathai side of the campus to increase public visibility.
- Connect the different areas of Chulalongkorn University and public transportation stops, by building protected pedestrian walkways.
- Ensure campus safety by redesigning zones suitable for evening and after dark activities, and equipping the areas with sufficient light and security.
- Adjust the infrastructure and utilities to conform to “green” principles, including the installment of alternative sources of energy, self-producing energy, and the support of new technology such as the ‘Internet of Things’.
The CU2040 Masterplan is a collaborative effort of opinions and suggestions from the CU community and the public. For over a year and after at least 60 meetings and revisions, the result is a plan for CU’s next century. Around the CU campus, the plan is to insert various learning common areas, which is divided into six zones:
ZONE 1: Knowledge Quarter XP
ZONE 2: ONE HEALTH
ZONE 3: SOCIAL DEMO
ZONE 4: 24-HOUR SCHOOL
ZONE 5: BICENTENNIAL AXIS
ZONE 6: PUBLIC SHOWCASE
Find out more information about the CU2040 Masterplan via https://www.facebook.com/cu2040masterplan/or watch the full introduction to the project at: https://bit.ly/2CBDqIC.
For more information, please contact the Corporate Communications Department of the Urban Design and Development Center.
338 Amigo Tower, Floor 9, Si Phraya Road
Maha Phruttharam, Bang Rak, Bangkok 10500
Tel: 02 234 0293, 090 972 7087
Fax: 02 234 0294